The Recipe Hunter’s interpretation of S.U.B.S.T.I.T.U.T.E.S.
S hare this post
U se one of the below possibilities
B e daring and try something new
S ee what you have and be creative
T ry something else
I nspect your cookbooks
T ry and ask The Recipe Hunter for help
U se what you have and learn from it
T ake a step back, check out the below or go to the store
E xit and go to Plan B
S hare this post
I am sure that I am not alone in this, and it has happened to you as well, while in the middle of cooking or baking to realize that you’re missing or short of some ingredients, so now you have to S.U.B.S.T.I.T.U.T.E.
How to substitute the most standard ingredients:
• All-purpose flour regular flour or cake four
• Allspice 1 tsp ½ tsp cinnamon plus ½ tsp ground cloves
• Apple Pie Spice 1 tsp ½ tsp cinnamon plus ¼ tsp nutmeg plus 1/8 tsp cardamom
• Baking Powder, Double-Acting 1 tsp ¼ tsp baking soda plus 5/8 tsp cream of tartar
• Butter 1 cup 1 cup regular margarine; 1 cup vegetable shortening (for baking);
An equal amount of oil can be used for a similar portion of MELTED butter if the recipe asks for MELTED butter.
• Buttermilk 1 cup 1 tsp lemon juice or vinegar plus enough regular milk to make 1 cup (allow to stand 5 minutes to thicken)
• Chili Sauce 1 cup 1 cup tomato sauce, ¼ cup brown sugar, 2 tbs vinegar, ¼ tsp cinnamon, dash of ground cloves and dash of allspice
• Chocolate, Unsweetened 1 ounce 3 tsp cocoa plus 1 tsp butter or regular margarine or vegetable oil
• Cinnamon allspice or cardamom
• Chocolate Carob. When substituting carob powder for chocolate in recipes, replace one square of unsweetened baking chocolate with 3 tsp each of carob powder and water.
• Wine vinegar – apple cider – apple juice – lemon. When substituting an ingredient like wine, think about the taste you want. If you prefer more of a bitter taste, use vinegar. If you want sweetness, use grape juice or apple cider.
• Cornstarch (for thickening) 1 tsp 2 tsp flour
• Egg 1 whole egg ¼ cup egg substitute
• Flour, All-Purpose White Flour 1 cup ½ cup whole wheat flour plus ½ cup all-purpose flour.
• Flour, Cake 1 cup 1 cup minus 2 tsp all-purpose flour
• Flour, Self-Rising 1 cup 1 cup minus 2 tsp all-purpose flour plus 1 ½ tsp baking powder and ½ tsp salt
• Garlic: 1 small clove 1/8 tsp garlic powder
• Herbs, Fresh 1 tbs, finely cut 1 tsp dried leaf herbs or ½ tsp ground dried herbs
• Lemon Zest (fresh grated lemon peel) 1 tsp ½ tsp lemon extract
• Mayonnaise for salads/salad dressings 1 cup 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup yogurt or 1 cup cottage cheese pureed in a blender
• Mustard, Dry in cooking 1 tsp 1 tbs prepared mustard
• Onion 1 small or ¼ cup chopped, fresh onion 1 tbs instant minced onion
• Rice Any amount Most rice products will substitute for each other on a fairly equal basis in recipes.
• Oregano Marjoram
• Sour cream yogurt
• Soy sauce salt teriyaki sauce To get a more soy like taste, mix ¾ tsp kosher salt and ½ tsp granulated sugar, and dissolve it in 1 tsp hot water.
• Sugar, Confectioners’ or Powdered 1 cup 1 cup granulated sugar plus 1 tbs cornstarch, well blended and powdery.
• Wine, Red Any The same amount of grape juice or cranberry juice
• Wine, White Any The same amount of apple juice or white grape juice
• Yeast, Compressed 1 cake (3/5 ounce) 1 package (¼ ounce) active dry yeast or ±2 ½ tsp loose active dry yeast
Make Healthy Eating Easy by substituting as follows
• Bread Crumbs Chia Seeds
• Chocolate Chips Cacao Nibs
• Croutons Almonds
• Iceberg Lettuce Romaine Lettuce
• Juice Water
• Mayo Mustard
• Milk Almond Milk
• Potato Chips Popcorn
• Processed Peanut Butter Unprocessed Nut Butter
• Ranch Dressing Olive Oil + Balsamic Vinegar
• Soda Tea
• Sour Cream Greek Yogurt
• Sports Drink Coconut Water
• Table Salt Himalayan Crystal Salt
• Vegetable Oil Coconut Oil
• White Flour Coconut Flour
• White Rice Quinoa
• White Sugar Stevia
Out of Eggs
•1 tbsp ground flax + 3 tbsp water 1 egg (blend until mixture is thick, creamy & egg like)
•1 tbsp chia seed + 1/3 cup water 1 egg (mix and let sit for 15 minutes)
•1 tbsp soy protein powder + 3 tbsp water 1 egg
•1 tbsp agar agar + 1 tbsp water 1 egg
•½ mashed banana 1 egg
•¼ cup unsweetened applesauce 1 egg
•3 tbsp peanut butter 1 egg
Compiled by: Es Slabs