1 cup(250 mL) walnut halves
1 cup(250 mL) natural almonds
1 cup(250 mL) raw cashews
1 cup (250 mL) shelled pistachio (I couldn’t find these, so I substituted macadamias)
1 tbsp (15 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
2 tbsp (30 mL) packed brown sugar
1 tbsp (15 mL) dry mustard
1-1/2 tsp (7 mL) ground coriander
1 tsp (5 mL) salt
1/2 tsp (2 mL) cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp (1 mL) pepper
In a bowl, stir together walnuts, almonds, cashews, pistachios, oil and Dijon mustard until coated. Combine brown sugar, dry mustard, coriander, salt, cayenne and pepper; toss with nuts to coat.
Bake on parchment paper-lined baking sheet in 300°F oven, stirring once, until fragrant and lightly toasted, about 20-30 minutes. Can be stored in airtight container for up to 1 week.
I just made these for the weekend, and we can’t stop eating them! The flavour isn’t overbearing, the spicy touch is perfect, and the sugar perfectly ties it all together. I’m very happy with how these turned out.
Source: Canadian Living
TRIED AND TESTED: Corlea Smit
85g brown sugar
1 egg, separated
60g dark chocolate
125ml (½ c) flour
2ml (½ t) baking powder
2ml (½ t) bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
125ml (½ c) milk
200g Bar-One chocolate, sliced
15ml (1T) milk
500ml (2 c) icing sugar
extra Bar-One chocolate to decorate
Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
Line a cupcake baking tin with paper cases.
1) Cream the butter and brown sugar together in a mixing bowl. Add the egg yolk, beating until well blended. Melt the chocolate carefully in the microwave and add to the butter mixture.
2) Sift the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt into the butter mixture. Pour the milk in and mix until a smooth batter forms. Stir in the currants.
3) Whisk the egg white until soft peaks form. Using a spatula, fold into the batter.
4) Fill the cupcake cases to two-thirds and bake for 25 minutes or until cooked through. Leave to cool completely.
5) Icing: Melt the sliced Bar-One chocolate and mix in the butter and milk. Sift in the icing sugar and beat until thick and smooth.
Place in a piping bag and ice the cupcakes.
Place pieces of Bar-One chocolate on top.
Source: Internet – Unknown original source
2⁄3 cup whole milk
1⁄3 cup flour
1⁄3 cup sugar
1⁄2 tsp vanilla extract
1⁄4 tsp salt
1⁄8 tsp cinnamon
6 slice Texas toast or other thick bread
3 tbsp butter
1 powdered sugar
Prep 10 min
Cook 12 min
Ready 22 min
In a bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, flour, sugar, vanilla extract, salt, and cinnamon.
Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat. Working in batches, dip each slice of bread in the batter for 30 seconds on each side. Let some of the batter drip off, then place in the skillet. Cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Add more butter to the skillet or griddle, if necessary, and repeat with remaining bread. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with syrup.
Source: Delicious recipes
1-2 lbs green beans, trimmed and cut into 2 inch pieces
2 green onions, chopped thinly
1 tsp red pepper flakes + 1/4 tsp
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 TBS sesame oil
1/8 tsp salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 TBS low sodium soy sauce
1 TBS rice vinegar
1 tsp white granulated sugar
1/4 cup water
1 tsp corn starch
1. In a small bowl mix together soy sauce, rice vinegar, sugar, water, corn starch, salt, and pepper; set aside.
2. In a wok or large skillet, add oil; let heat over medium high heat for 30 seconds. Add garlic, green onions, and 1 tsp red pepper flakes. Stir fry quickly, for about 30 seconds. Add green beans and stir
Constantly until they are almost fully cooked, about 3 minutes (should turn deep green). Push green beans to the side, pour sauce into pan, stir to distribute sauce to bottom of pan. Cook for 30 seconds over medium high heat; allow to come to a boil (shouldn’t take long), reduce heat to low, stir to coat green beans with sauce. Cook for 30 more seconds.
3. Serve and enjoy!
Source: Delicious recipes
Makes: 16 – 20
Preparation: 15 min
Chilling: 3 hrs
Cooking: 8 min
500 g dark chocolate, chopped
15 ml (1 T) butter
15 ml (1 T) golden syrup
50 g mini marshmallows
100 g nuts, roasted and chopped
100 g glacé cherries
50 g tennis biscuits, roughly chopped
Line a 20-cm x 20-cm baking pan with baking paper.
1. Melt the chocolate, butter and golden syrup in a bowl over a pot of simmering water until smooth and glossy.
2. Remove from the heat and fold in the remaining ingredients.
3. Transfer to the prepared baking pan, allow to cool down to room temperature and place in the fridge for 3 hours or until the chocolate has set. Slice and serve.
Source: RECIPIES FOR AFRICA – SHARE your Favourite Recipes
4 cups regular oats
3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup all-purpose flour
11/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup butter
3 tablespoons golden syrup or honey
1/4 cup low fat milk
2 teaspoons baking soda
Vegetable or canola oil spray
1)set oven rack in middle and preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
2)Spray 10 x 15 pan with oil spray
3)In a large bowl mix all dry ingredients except baking soda and mix well.
4)Melt butter and syrup in microwave ,allow to cool for 5 minutes.
5)Stir baking soda into milk and dissolve completely
6)add the cooled butter mix and milk mix to dry ingredients and mix very well with spoon or easier with hands
7) distribute evenly on baking tray and press down well , push down corners that come up.
8) bake for 25-35 minutes until golden brown , rotate pan after 16-18 minutes. Keep an eye, if browning too quickly cover loosely with foil and or turn oven down to 300 degrees F for the last 5-10 minutes.
9) remove from oven and set on wire rack to cool for 10-12 minutes. Cut while warm into squares .
1)the longer you bake, the more crunchy they will get. If you like them chewy bake for less time – 25 minutes.
2) cut the foil to fit the pan before you put in oven so you are prepared. Remove from oven to rotate and cover keeping oven door closed so temp doesn’t go down.
3) if necessary place on top of another baking tray to stop the bottom from browning too quickly.
Recommend- not to use quick cooking oats.
Use Lyle’s golden syrup
Store in airtight container for up to a week.
Tried and Tested and Posted by: Belinda Epstein Assin
1 bulb garlic
3 cloves peeled and crushed, the others left whole
1 small bunch fresh rosemary, half the leaves removed and coarsely chopped, half in sprigs
1 lemon , zest of
2 kg quality leg of lamb
freshly ground black pepper
1.5 kg potatoes, peeled and cut in half
For the mint sauce
4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint leaves
1 teaspoon sugar
2 pinches salt
1 tablespoon hot water
3 tablespoons wine vinegar
Preheat the oven to 200ºC/400ºC/gas 6 and place a roasting dish for the potatoes on the bottom.
Mix the crushed garlic, chopped rosemary, lemon zest and olive oil together. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and rub the marinade into it. Place on the hot bars of the oven above the tray.
Boil the potatoes, simmer for 10 minutes and scuff the edges. Add the rosemary sprigs and whole garlic cloves, season with salt and pepper and drizzle over a good lug of olive oil. Tip the potatoes into the tray and place under the lamb to catch all the lovely juices.
To make the mint sauce, mix the chopped mint, sugar, salt, hot water and wine vinegar.
Cook the lamb for about an hour and 15 minutes if you want it pink, or an hour and a half if you want it more well done. Take it out of the oven and cover with tinfoil and leave for 15 minutes before serving. Carve and serve with the potatoes and mint sauce.
Tip: Try putting a few parsnips or carrots in with the roast potatoes
Source: Internet – Unknown original source
True Copycat Recipe
1 box yellow cake mix
5.1 ounce instant or cook and serve Lemon pudding mix (can be replaced with instant vanilla pudding & 2 tsp lemon emulsion)
½ cup vegetable oil
4 large eggs
½ cup milk
8 ounces sour cream
6 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2-3 lemons)
½ stick butter, room temperature
2 cups powdered sugar
4 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp lemon emulsion/extract
Make Lemon Loaf
Turn oven to 350F. Line 2 loaf pans with foil & spray with non stick spray, or butter and flour the pans. Set aside.
Combine all the wet ingredients and whisk until well combined.
Place all dry ingredients in a bowl, add about 1 cup of wet ingredients, beat with a mixer on low speed for about 15 seconds, then add the rest of the ingredients and beat on low speed for another 15-20 seconds. DO NOT over beat, or your cake will deflate.
Divide batter evenly between two loaf pans.
Place in the oven and bake for 45-55 minutes, until golden in color or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let rest in the pan for 5 minutes, before removing and allowing to cool on a cooling rack.
Beat butter, powdered sugar, lemon juice & lemon emulsion until smooth and supple.
Spread evenly on top of both cakes.
Allow the glaze to harden up before slicing.
Source: Delicious recipes
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup white sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch round pan.
Place flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, butter or margarine, eggs, vanilla, and milk into mixing bowl. Beat slowly to moisten, then beat with an electric mixer at medium speed for about 2 minutes until smooth. Reserve 3/4 cup batter; pour the remainder into pan.
Stir cocoa into the 3/4 cup reserved batter. Drop by spoonfuls over top of white batter. Using a knife, swirl the cocoa batter into the white batter to incorporate it in a marble effect.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, until an inserted wooden pick comes out clean.
1cup mashed potatoes (left over)
1 green onion (finely chopped)
1⁄2teaspoon baking powder
1⁄4teaspoon black pepper
1 -2tablespoon milk
2 -3tablespoons shortening or 2 -3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Beat the egg.
Mix the beaten egg with the mashed potatoes.
Stir in the dry ingredients.
Add the milk and mix well.
The batter should be very thick.
Melt the shortening or heat the oil in a skillet.
Spoon batter into the skillet to form 3″ to 3-1/2″ inch wide pancakes, about 1/2″ thick.
Brown on one side, over medium heat. Turn and brown on the other side.
Serve with ketchup.
These are great cold and served the next day.
Posted by: Lucy Kimitta
My famous eggless chocolate cake… This time I used a different cake mold. The picture is mine and the recipe is adapted from Ranks Kitchen
1 x cup cake flour.
1/2 x tsp baking powder.
1 x tsp baking soda.
6 x tbsp. cocoa powder.
3/4 x cup castor sugar.
1/2 x cup cooking oil.
1/4 x cup coffee (1x tsp coffee mixed in 1/4 x cup boiling water.)
1/4 x cup milk.
1/4 x cup plain yoghurt.
1 x tsp vanilla extract.
preheat the oven to 180 degrees, 10 minutes before baking.
grease the cake tin and leave aside.
in a bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, baking soda, castor sugar and cocoa powder.
make a well and add the wet ingredients one by one.
mix well, until everything is well combined,
pour the batter into the prepared tin and tap a couple of times, to remove the air bubbled.
bake for 30 minutes, or until the toothpick comes out clean.IMG_3732
remove from the oven and let cool.
once cool ice.
INGREDINETS FOR CHOCOLATE ICING:
100g x rama margarine.
1/3 x cup cocoa powder.
1 x cup icing sugar.
1 x tsp vanilla extract.
3 x tbsp. hot water.
combine the margarine and cocoa powder.
add the hot water and mix well.
add the icing sugar and vanilla extract.
mix well, till everything is combine and ice to your hearts content
Tried and Tested and Posted by: Bobby Swanson
Recipe by Elizabeth Falkner
Makes 12 biscuits
1 teaspoon olive oil
3 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
1/4 cup chopped scallions
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons kosher salt
few cranks black pepper
4 ounces unsalted butter, chilled and cut in ½-inch cubes
1/2 cup grated white cheddar cheese
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup cream
1. Heat the olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add the sliced bacon, and cook until it’s crispy and most of the fat has rendered, about 3 minutes. Tilt the skillet and pour most of the bacon fat out into a small, heatproof bowl, leaving the cooked bacon in the skillet. Set the bacon fat aside, and put the skillet back on medium heat. Add the chopped scallions and cook just until the whites are starting to soften, about a minute. Transfer the cooked scallions and bacon to a small bowl and set aside.
2. Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and some black pepper in a large mixing bowl. Add the chilled, cubed butter and use your fingertips to crumble the butter into the dough, until it resembles coarse cornmeal with pea-sized lumps. Add the bacon, scallions, cheese and bacon fat, and mix everything together with your fingertips, just until everything is incorporated and the mixture is an even consistency. Add the buttermilk and the cream and gently work them into the dough, just to combine. The dough should be sticky but still slightly crumbly.
3. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, up to overnight.
4. When the dough is chilled and you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 °F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
5. Dust a large, smooth work surface with a little bit of all-purpose flour, then unwrap the dough onto the surface. Sprinkle flour onto the dough and onto a rolling pin, then roll the dough out to an 8″x12-inch rectangle. Fold the rectangle in half over itself, then roll it out again to an 8″x12-inch rectangle. This fold will give your biscuits more delicious, flaky layers. Use the side of a knife or your hands to press the edges of the dough into neat, straight sides, then cut the dough into twelve rectangles. You could also use a biscuit cutter and make rounds, if you want.
6. Set biscuits on a parchment-lined baking sheet. In a small bowl, whisk the egg with 2 tablespoons of water, and brush the egg wash on to biscuits.
7. Bake in the preheated oven until the biscuits are risen, flaky, and golden brown, 25-30 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.
Posted by: Thil Gilley
Last week Wednesday I free cycled 2 chocolate cakes to 2 families for Christmas day.
This was the first time I ever tried the recipe, very easy….>
2 cups flour
¾ cups cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
2 cups sugar
½ cup oil
1 cup boiling water or hot coffee
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Line two 23cm round cake pans, or one 23x33cm rectangular baking pan, with wax paper.
Grease the paper and the sides of the pan well. In a large bowl, sift the dry ingredients together.
Add the eggs, milk, oil and vanilla essence and beat with an electric mixer for about two minutes.
Add the boiling water or coffee and mix until combined.
Pour the batter evenly into the prepared pans and bake for 30-40 minutes.
To test if the cake is ready, insert a toothpick into the middle of the pan.
If it comes out clean, the cake is ready.
A single rectangular cake will take slightly longer to bake than two round layers.
Slide a knife around the edge of each cake to loosen it from the pan, turn the pan over onto a metal rack and peel off the paper.
Let the cake cool completely before covering with icing. Enjoy!!!!
Tried and Tested and Posted by: Chanel Richardson
Yields 6 servings
6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, pat dry with paper towels
1⁄2 cup honey
1⁄2 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1⁄2-1 teaspoon ground ginger (fresh is better)
1⁄2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
1 tablespoon toasted sesame seeds
Cut chicken breast into 1 inch strips or bite size pieces. Heat a large non-stick skillet that has been sprayed with Pam, over medium-high heat. Cook chicken for about 6 minutes or until no longer pink.
Mix together honey, soy sauce, water, corn starch, ginger and red pepper flakes. Whisk until no corn starch lumps appear. Pour sauce mixture into skillet with chicken. Cook until sauce thickens slightly.
You can add more water if sauce is too thick. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken starts to soak up the sauce. Enjoy.
100g pinch salt.
Butter in food processor, mix little water till combine.
Knead it then in cling wrap into fridge to rest.
No need to blind bake….once rested knead and place softly into dish. Layer fine chopped onion cheese baby spinach more cheese capers.
Top with smoked salmon and cream cheese.
Roll ends of the pastry neat.
Mix 6 Jumbo eggs, 1 tablespoon organic veg stock, 200 ml milk 100 ml cream.
Cover the pie with the egg mix bake for hour at 170c
Add some jar asparagus too if you can find like I did in this one.
Source: Cathy Price (own recipe) Tried and Tested